This page lists resources on this site about Modern Church. There is introductory information on the About pages.
• Modern Church and liberal theology by Jonathan Clatworthy, in Signs of The Times
• Editorial on the centenary of our journal Modern Believing by Paul Badham
• Eight page supplement on Modern Church, Church Times, 26th October 2007
There is a brief summary on our history page.
Articles from the first edition of The Modern Churchman, April 1911:
- What Will Jones Swallow? A report on our 1964 Annual Conference by Henry Fairlie in The Spectator, 14 August 1964
On 'modern' theology
- Different kinds of theology are called modern. The word 'modern' in our name dates from the early 20th century when we were associated with a movement called 'modernist'. Some of what it stood for in those days is now outdated; some is not.
- Modernist theology - article in the 2006 World English edition of Microsoft Encarta Encyclopedia by Paul Badham, reprinted with permission
From Signs Of The Times:
- Scholarship and Fierce Sincerity: Henry D A Major, The Face of Anglican Modernism by Calum Gilmour
- Is it modern to be modern? Article by Jonathan Clatworthy
- To thine own self be true – or, Things old and new Article by Anthony Woollard